Reasons For Male infertility – A Fertility Checklist
Male infertility refers to a male’s inability to cause pregnancy in a fertile female. In humans, it accounts for 40-50% of infertility. It affects approximately 7% of all men. The condition may result from various factors such as low sperm production, production of abnormal sperms, and blockage of the sperm ducts.
Symptoms of male infertility
The most common symptom is the inability to conceive a child. However, other signs and symptoms may occur as a result of the underlying problem. Most individuals fail to notice the other signs that are associated with infertility besides the inability to conceive a child. Other signs and symptoms that are linked to male infertility include:
- Sexual dysfunction: problems with the sexual function may include ejaculating fluids in small quantities and the inability to sustain an erection among other symptoms.
- One may also experience pain, swelling, or a lump growth in the testicle area.
- Patients may also experience decreased hair in the body due to an inherited chromosomal abnormality.
- Individuals who have male infertility also have a low sperm count of less than 15 million sperm per millilitre of semen.
Common causes of male infertility
Some of the common causes of male infertility are:-
- If you have had an operation on your testicles
- If you have had a hernia repair
- Blood in your ejaculate
- Have you had mumps
- Any sort of injury to the testicles
- If you have any family members with cystic fibrosis
- Any sort of surgical procedure like Vasectomy had been performed
- If you are overweight with a BMI of more than 25
- If you have diabetes
When to see a doctor?
Men concerned about infertility. The best way is to visit an infertility centre to evaluate infertility. It is advisable to consult a urologist/anthologist who has a good amount of experience in handling male infertility. As he would come up with an entire plan for the male infertility treatment right from diagnosis to suggesting the appropriate treatment for your fertility and execute the treatment in the most proficient way.
Depending on the situation the doctor will suggest you the various treatments like IUI, ICSI. Overcoming the infertility is a team work of Gynaecologist and urologist/anthologist who can make your dream come true